By Andrew Sanders
Read Online or Download Dickens and the Spirit of the Age PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Winner of the ESSE (European Society for the examine of English) booklet Award for Literature 2006 Literature and the literary have proved singularly immune to definition. Derek Attridge argues that such resistance represents no longer a useless finish, yet a vital place to begin from which to discover anew the facility and practices of Western artwork.
Because the detailed contribution of Islamic Spain to Arabic literature, the strophic muwashshahand zajal are nonetheless considered via a few as a improvement from putative Romance prototypes. at the very least seven theories of foundation of the Provençal lyrics were proffered, prime between them being the Arabic origins thought.
The Odes of Horace are a treasure of Western civilization, and this new English translation is a full of life rendition by way of one of many favorite poet-translators of our personal time, David R. Slavitt. Horace used to be one of many nice poets of Rome’s Augustan age, reaping rewards (as did fellow poet Vergil) from the friendship of the strong statesman and cultural shopper Maecenas.
This quantity establishes key ideas for a trans/national enlargement within the research of tradition. utilizing translation as an analytical type, it explores what's translatable among nation-specific ways resembling British/American Cultural stories, German Kulturwissenschaften and French Sciences Humaines.
- How Poems Think
- Burying the Beloved: Marriage, Realism, and Reform in Modern Iran
- The Cambridge Companion to the Twentieth-Century English Novel (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Fallacy of Silver Age (Sign/Text/Culture: Studies in Slavic and Comparative Semioti)
- Julien Green: Religion and Sensuality (Faux Titre 25) (Faux Titre, Vol 25)
- Crimes of Dissent: Civil Disobedience, Criminal Justice, and the Politics of Conscience (Alternative Criminology)
Extra resources for Dickens and the Spirit of the Age