By Jon Huer
Read or Download Call From the Cave: Our Cruel Nature and Quest for Power PDF
Similar violence in society books
This booklet explores the character of energy in folks, teams, and international locations by way of asking a query that we will comprehend in modern phrases: what could invoice Gates do if he had Hitler’s absolute strength? it's a sociological query that exposes strength as a device of keep an eye on over the powerless, now not as a mental trait or manners of private interactions.
Masculinity and the ambiguity of Violence in American Fiction, 1950-75 explores the intersections of violence, masculinity, and racial and ethnic rigidity in the USA because it is depicted within the fiction of Ralph Ellison, Richard Wright, Norman Mailer, Saul Bellow, James Baldwin, and Philip Roth. Maggie McKinley reconsiders the longstanding organization among masculinity and violence, finding a complex paradox inside of works through those writers: as every one writer figures violence as critical to the institution of a liberated masculine id, using this violence frequently reaffirms many constricting and emasculating cultural myths and gear buildings that the authors and their protagonists are looking for to overturn.
Targeting kinfolk violence all over the world, kin Violence From a world standpoint: A Strengths-Based method attracts at the services of authors from sixteen international locations representing 17 cultures to inform the tale of family violence of their respective elements of the realm. This specific edited assortment through Sylvia M.
Traditions of sacrifice exist in virtually each human tradition and sometimes include a society's such a lot significant non secular and symbolic acts. Ritual violence was once really assorted and enduring within the prehistoric South American Andes, the place human lives, animals, and fabric items have been sacrificed in secular rites or as choices to the divine.
- The Killing Season: A History of the Indonesian Massacres, 1965-66 (Human Rights and Crimes against Humanity)
- Environment, Scarcity, and Violence
- Video Surveillance and Social Control in a Comparative Perspective (Routledge Studies in Science, Technology and Society)
- Female Terrorism and Militancy: Agency, Utility, and Organization (Contemporary Terrorism Studies)
- A Courageous Fool: Marie Deans and Her Struggle against the Death Penalty
- Violence and the Politics of Research (The Hastings Center Series in Ethics)
Extra resources for Call From the Cave: Our Cruel Nature and Quest for Power